When you get ready to begin your interior painting project, chances are you take the color of paint and overall design of your home into careful consideration. You want to create a style that looks modern, but have you considered how painting your home can impact your pets? If you have pets living in your household, you need to think about much more than color when you are picking out paint. You might not realize this, but the interior of your home is likely 3 times more polluted than the air outside. The chemicals that are in most common household paint brands only exacerbate this problem. However, there are eco-friendly alternatives that are specifically designed to be safe for households with pets.
What makes a paint safe for pets?
Most paints are filled with volatile organic compounds that are toxins. These toxic compounds are not always safe for use around pets and can adversely impact the health of the animals living in your home. All paints have to come with labels that acknowledge the amount of VOCs that are within the formulation of the paint. Low/No VOC paints have to meet specific standards and contain very small amounts of toxins. This makes them ideal paint type for use in households with pets.
Here are a few of eth most popular pet-safe painting products that you can use in your home:
Benjamin Moore Pristine EcoSpec paint
This brand of paint is known for having very low amounts of VOCs. There are actually less than 10 grams of VOCs per liter. This type of paint is also great for use in pet households, because it comes with no odor and is 100% acrylic latex paint. It is possible to actually purchase this type of paint as your base and have it mixed with the color that you desire.
Bioshield clay and casein paints
This brand of paint is considered to be pet-safe since it consists of only raw natural ingredients. It comes in a powder consistency and only requires you to add water. The VOCs that exist are all naturally occurring and in very small amounts that are not harmful to pets.
This brand of pet-safe paints gives you many more color options to choose from. It is a line of NO VOC paints that have been created by a Portland artist. There are more than 40 different shades to choose from.
- 10 Aspects Of A Great Paint Job
- Best Co-ed Paint Colors For Children
- Design Inspiration For A Master Bedroom
- Design Inspiration For Your Nursery
- Faux Finishes
- Finding Just The Right Shade Of White
- Home Makeover: Picking The Perfect Colors
- How Many Coats Of Paint Do You Need?
- How To Remove Wallpaper
- How To Take Care Of Peeling Or Cracked Paint
- How To Warm Up Any Room Using Ceiling Paint
- Low/No VOC Paint: What Does That Mean?
- Commercial Exterior Painting
- Commercial Interior Painting
- Industrial Painting
- Paint Colors That Brighten Any Room With Ease
- Painters Guide: Top 5 Resources
- Painting Your Home On A Budget
- Pet-Safe Painting
- Top 3 Habits Of A Professional Painter